Welcome to South Actors Photos

South Actors Photos and Wallpapers

Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Adam Lambert: The One Thing That Makes Him So Great

When I first heard Adam Lambert, I just couldn't believe my ears. It was--literally--unbelievable. The problem with that kind of vocal perfection is that it is often too perfect. While every note is in place and every nuance is flawless, voices and performers of this caliber often lack one crucial element: soul!
While Adam's many theater performances growing up in San Diego are likely what gave him the incredible flare and wide vibrato, this kind of experience can hurt a lot of performers. They are so used to creating incredibly 'big' performances, that they simply don't connect with an audience in more subtle ways (or even care if the audience is out there at all). Technique is one thing, artistry is quite another.
Thankfully, Adam Lambert has both.
Even with a glam-slam number like 'Fever', you get a feel and delivery that rivals Aretha Franklin (close your eyes when you listen to it and tell me I'm wrong) in terms of both sound and soul. In the hands of a lesser vocalist, the lyrics of this Lada Gaga gem would be cheesy, but it's the conviction and the underlying warmth of Lambert's personality that make this number shine in nearly every version I've seen and heard.
And that's the real trick. Many of our most beloved vocalists are nowhere near as talented as Adam Lambert. Most couldn't pass the auditions to audition for American Idol much less match a guy like Lambert note for note. So what gives them their careers? Soul. That underlying ability to tell a story in a way everyone can relate to in the space of three minutes or so. Raspy, gaspy, gritty, grindy...some of these guys (and girls) have been selling story after story for decades now. Conversely, if Adam Lambert didn't have that likeable warmth and 'real' vibe underlying all his performances, I can guarantee you we wouldn't like him nearly as much.
Don't believe it? I can actually name three other vocalists who have the same range and general charisma that Lambert does. I can guarantee you that you won't recognize any of their names. Their careers lasted about two years apiece and despite incredible technical ability, they just didn't connect with their audience at a soul level. It's my sincere hope that Adam Lambert can keep his soul intact and enjoy a long and rich career bringing us many more mind-blowing performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin